To me this was the prize possession of the SMX Exhibit hall…..One PHAT Google Pen! Not even Danny Sullivan or Tamar Weinberg got one of these primo schwag toys! See what they got here, but look what I got below!
Ty and I are live from the main hall A1, here in Santa Clara, California, with a panel of Danny Sullivan (CEO , Bruce Clay (CEO Bruce Clay International), Jill Whalen (CEO Higherrankings.com), Todd Friersen (VP Google Technologies), Greg Boser (SEO Consultant) and Stephan Spencer (President NetConcepts.com). Here are the questions and the comments from the panel.
1. When desgining a website – use iframes or ajax? ANSWER: Cloke, have a workaround. Ajax is good for cleaning your toilet, not for SEO.
2. What is your favorite keyword research tool? ANSWER: Jill – Keyword discovery Bruce – Bruce’s own tools Greg – Keyword discovery Todd-Firefox tools? Everyone has thier own tools, use what works for you…
3. Optimum words in title tag? H1 Tag? COMMENTS: H1 tag still is important. Very useful, synergistic. Increase chances for crawabilty.
Title tag…Jill says fit 3 keyword phrases in title tag. Greg says do not put commas in TT. Jill says you can make TT longer than 90-100 characters??
Bruce says average 7 words in TT. Just make TT compelling.
In short, this is part of the new “Blended Results” revolution. I attended a track today at SMX on video, images, and blended results, which emphasized how critical it will be in the coming year to saturate the golden triangle (Based on algorithmic calculations).
What exactly is the golden triangle, and how do you get there?
The Golden triangle as explained is a new term attached to getting results in the top positions of the SERP but with a twist. What’s the twist?
Video, Images, Blogs!
Blended search has drastically changed the landscape of how companies and search marketers will want to proceed with their marketing efforts. Eye tracking studies have recently shown tremendous changes in how people react to blended search.
In fact, one speaker today showed that users scanning patterns changed big time when an image was shown in the results page, their eyes immediately dropped to the image!
You see, search engines (MSN is actually best) are now including blog articles, news items, images, and videos in the SERP’s, so if you want to be in the Golden triangle today, you NEED to start focusing on getting your blog articles, images, news or videos indexed so as to hopefully have a dominating appearance in this area.
For the first time in public, Tim and I heard the announcement today from Amit Kumar, director of product management at Yahoo search. I shot the whole announcement in video and will post this later. But for now here is the short list of this huge announcement and the improvements:
- Listings will be vastly enhanced, site owners will have much more control with a new user gallery, buttons, functionality, etc.
- You can provide structural data such as user reviews and ratings, "buy this", address, prices of product, send links to a friend, to a phone, categorize listings with "smart answers" to increase relevance.
- Add video, company logo, images, music and more.
- "favicon" with one simple uninterrupted click
- Listings can function as a "mini site" for search engine results in organic listings, very powerful
If you look at the picture I took today, you can see what I mean from the bullet points. More to come later!!